Monday, February 14, 2011

My Own Little World


Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to We Will Go Ministry in Jackson. 
After worshiping with what most people would call the poor people of Jackson, we were able to hand out food and drinks to people. While I was helping pour tea (which a lot of it ended up on the ground) someone, whom I didn’t know came up and asked me if I wanted to help someone find clothes. I immediately said I would love to. I was told that I was going to be helping an older lady. Most people know that I do not necessary know what to say or do in front of older people. I was a little nervous. But it wasn’t hard at all! It was fun! We talked about how pretty it was outside and how we were glad spring was coming. After she was done getting what she needed we left, and as we were walking back to where everyone else was, I asked her if there was anything I could pray with her about. She said no, she didn’t care what I prayed as long as I prayed.  She knew she needed prayer (who doesn’t), but didn’t necessarily know what to pray. Most churchgoers get used to prayer, and many times even I take it for granted.  And in a way I forget how powerful it really is.

Even though she was poor when it comes to money, she was rich in faith.

After I had hugged her good-bye, and went to help clean up, I couldn’t help wondering where she was? Where she was going to sleep? When would her next meal be? Would I ever see her again? I couldn’t answer any of these. But I knew for once the word “homeless” has a name, a face, and a voice.  And most importantly is a child of God.

Many times when I think about going and help people it feels so overwhelming when you see the mass of people, but this time was different because I met, and spent time with one. One older lady who just wanted to talk to someone.

“If I look at the masses, I will never act. But if I look at the one, I must. ~ Mother Teresa”



No comments:

Post a Comment